I have several years of experience writing and speaking on issues of race, gender, transracial and transnational adoption, identity formation, and loss. If my essay and presentation topics listed below are of interest to you, I’d love to connect. For speaking inquiries, interviews, or other requests, please contact me using the Contact form: here.
– B.A. Majors: International Studies, Chinese Literature and Language // Minors: American Studies, Asian Studies
– CIEE Nanjing – Intensive Chinese Language and Culture, Spring 2015 (Read about the experience: here)
– Author Red Thread Broken, a popular blog on transracial adoption (https://redthreadbroken.wordpress.com/) – 2013 to present
– “The Yearning.” In Home: Writers Explore its Meaning, 39-41. Middleton, WI: Nectary Press, 2016. (Read the essay: here)
– “From Adopted To Adoptee.” In Flip the script: Adult Adoptee Anthology, 154-55. Middletown, DE: Anya Project, 2015.
-“Meet Me in the Middle: On Identity and Belonging.” The Lost Daughters. November 10, 2015. (Read the article: here)
– Contributing Author, The Lost Daughters, 2015
– Contributing Writer/Co-Editor, Gazillion Voices Magazine – 2014
– Contributing Author, Transracial Eyes Blog – 2014
– (Upcoming) Webinar guest-presenter for AdopteeBridge, February 2019.
– “Dismantling the Colonial Rhetoric of the Traditional Adoption Narrative” panel presentation at the University of Saint Thomas, May 10, 2016
– “Displaced Photographs,” poetic recitation of a poem written in collaboration with Saymoukda Vongsay (Refugenius) for a Public Radio International event titled “The Refugee Crisis: What Can We Do?,” Saint Paul, MN, October 29, 2015. Broadcasted on Public Radio International – The World. (Read the poem: here)
Presentations at National Conferences, Symposia
–(Upcoming) “Transracial: Not a White Woman’s Word,” Session co-leader at the YWCA Racial Justice Summit, Madison, WI, October 3, 2018.
– “For God’s Sake: The Role of Christianity in International Adoption,” the Korean Adoptee and Adoptive Family Network, Minneapolis, MN, June 25, 2018.
– “Who Can Relate: Adolescent Adoptees’ Identity Development,” Korean Adoptee and Adoptive Family Network, Minneapolis, MN, June 25, 2018
– “The Global Diaspora,” panelist at the Korean Adoptee and Adoptive Family Network
Conference, Pittsburgh, PN, June 23, 2017.
– “Individual Empowerment Online: The Pursuit of Family Reunification through Chinese Social Media,” Midwest Conference on Asian Affairs, University of Illinois – Urbana Champagne, Oct 14, 2016. (Read the paper: here)
– “Transracial: Reclaiming the Adoptee’s Narrative,” Session co-leader at the YWCA Racial Justice Summit, Madison, WI, September 19, 2016.
– “Dismantling the Colonial Rhetoric of the Traditional Adoption Narrative,” Midwest Asian American Student Union Conference, University of Minnesota – Twin Cities, April 18, 2016.
– “The Lost Daughters: Writing as a Form of Resiliency,” panelist at the Korean Adoptee and Adoptive Family Network Conference, Saint Louis, MS, June 15, 2015.
– “Gazillion Voices Magazine,” panelist at the Korean Adoptee and Adoptive Family Network Conference, Minneapolis, MN, June 20, 2014.
– “Ambiguous Loss,” roundtable participant, Madison, WI, July 16, 2017. Broadcasted on WORT 89.9FM: http://archive.wortfm.org/
– “The Yearning,” book reading at the Home Anthology publication party, Madison, WI,
November 3, 2016. (Read the essay: here)
– “Searching for My Roots,” presentation for Fall Festival at First United Methodist Church, Madison, WI, Oct 18, 2016.
– “For Adoptees Only: Recourses by and for Teenage and Young Adult Adoptees,” web presenter for a Families with Daughters from Yangchun City Social Welfare Institute gathering, Sheboygan, WI, July 18, 2016.
– “FCA Adoptee Panel Discussion,” panelist for teen adoptees and adoptive parents gathering through Families with Children from Asia – Midwest, Minneapolis, MN, April 16, 2016.
– “Study Away and Identity,” panelist for study abroad orientation at Macalester College, November 5 and 10, 2015. (Read about the experience: here)
– “Back to School — College Students and Teens Talk,” panelist for teens through Families with Children from Asia – Midwest, Minneapolis, MN, October 3, 2015.
– “Adoptees in the Wild: Film Screening and Post-Screening Discussion,” event organizer and discussion facilitator, Madison, WI, February 19, 2015.
– “Transnational Adoption as a Form of Migration,” student presenter and panel organizer at the International Roundtable, Macalester College, October 9, 2014
– “Homeland Tours Discussed,” panelist for a presentation by Families with Children from Asia – Midwest, Minneapolis, MN, September 23, 2014
– “How One Class Changed My Life,” Faces of Macalester Community Welcome Speaker at First Year Orientation Program, Macalester College, August 29, 2014. (Read the speech: here)
– “Red Thread Broken” blog used in classroom material at Saint Catherine’s Univeristy (MN), University of California – Irvine, and Fuller Theological Seminary (CA).
– “Red Thread Broken” blog listed as a resource in Transracial and Intercountry Adoptions: Cultural Guidance for Professionals(2016) by Rowena Fong and Ruth McRoy.
– Interview featured and chapter titled after “Red Thread Broken” blog in One Child: China’s Most Radical Experiment(2015) by Mei Fong.
Awards and Honors:
– Selected for International Leadership Foundation Fellowship, May 2016.
– Asian Languages and Cultures Departmental Award, Macalester College, May 2016.
– Department of Multicultural Life Outstanding Senior Award, Macalester College, 2016.
– Senior Speaker Nominee, Macalester College, 2016.
– Featured in “7 Asian Adoptee Women Whose Work You Should Be Paying Attention To, Like, Right Now” Buzzfeed Article, March 2014. (Read the article: here)
– Hue’s Row of Excellence – Outstanding Asian-American Graduates Capital City Hues, May 2012.
– Martin Luther King Jr. Award, United Way, May 2012.
– Martin Luther King Jr. Award, United Way, May 2011.
– 1st Place Persuasive Writing Essay, Yahara River Writers, May 2008. (Read the essay: here)
– 2nd Place Political Cartoon, Yahara River Writers, May 2007.
– Pediatricians Recognizing Individuals Demonstrating Excellence (PRIDE) Award, April 2007.
Professional Service and Leadership:
– Advisory Council Member, Korean Adoptee and Adoptive Family Network, 2018 – Present.
– Co-Founder and Organizer, Transracial Teens: Adolescent Adoptee Monthly Discussion Gathering, 2017-Present.
– Co-Organizer and Member, Let Your Life Speak Series committee at Macalester College, 2016.
– Co-Leader Monthly Teen Meet-up through Families with Children from Asia – Midwest, 2015-2016.
– Co-Founder and Co-Leader Transracial and Transnational Adoptee Identity Collective through the Department of Multicultural Life at Macalester College, 2013-2016.
– Interview by Mei Fong for book One Child: China’s Most Radical Experiment, Sept. 2014.
– Interview Kickstarter Video Commercial for Creating Home, March 2014. (Read about the project: here)
— Volunteer/Photographer, Korean Adoptee and Adoptive Family Network Conference, June, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
– Second Grade English Teacher Hankou Lu Private Elementary School, Spring 2015
– Volunteer Adoption Policy and Reform Coalition Conference Nov. 2013